[projectaon] Re: Outstanding Errata Sprint (Week 8) -- Ad-Hoc Part 1

  • From: Ingo Kloecker <projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 23:34:28 +0200

On Sunday 19 June 2011, Timothy Pederick wrote:
> On 19 June 2011 06:10, Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > This implies that Lone Wolf has to walk at least 40 miles plus
> > ascend 2 miles in the air to complete his mission, all within 48
> > hours. I know that he's a Kai Grand Master, but this seems to be a
> > bit optimistic on Rimoah's part! Still, Lone Wolf manages it so I
> > guess I should stop complaining ;)]"
>
> If it were a hiking expedition, Naismith's
> Rule<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naismith%27s_Rule>would say it
> takes just over 45 hours. I think it's plausible, given that
> Lone Wolf is a Grand Master and can no doubt manage a two-day hike
> without rest and faster than average, but it does underscore just
> how desperate a mission this is.

Hmm. Without any of the proposed corrections I get
  40 miles of distance + 2 miles of climb
  ~= 40 + 2 x 8 miles of distance
  = 56 miles of distance
and, dividing by 3 miles per hour, I get less than 19 hours.

Incidentally, I have just walked St. James' Way (more precisely, the
French Way; about 800 km) doing 25--43.5 km (15.5--27 miles) per day.
Given this experience the equivalent of 56 miles in two days seems very
doable for somebody with excellent constitution.

Regards,
Ingo