[projectaon] Re: Outstanding Errata Sprint (Week 8) -- Ad-Hoc Part 1

On Sat, Jun 18, 2011 at 3:10 PM, Simon Osborne <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> THE CAPTIVES OF KAAG
>
> (er)    10, 213:        the commotion, and your presence, has -> the
> commotion, and your presence, have [LeRoy McSwain, Jan 2007]
>
> <http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml-less-simple/lw/14tcok/title.htm#sect10>
> <http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml-less-simple/lw/14tcok/title.htm#sect213>

If we want to make it more obviously parenthetical, we could use
dashes instead of commas.

> (er)    307:    Its sheer size and strength enables -> Its sheer size and
> strength enable [LeRoy McSwain, Jan 2007]
>
> <http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml-less-simple/lw/14tcok/title.htm#sect307>

Yeah, this one strikes me as an idiomatic quirk, but I agree that
"size and strength" is probably a cliche phrase that now functions as
a single object. However, I'd say fix it.

> (er)    328:    from best Durenese oak -> from the best Durenese oak [LeRoy
> McSwain, Jan 2007]
>
> <http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml-less-simple/lw/14tcok/title.htm#sect328>

Reject.

> THE LEGACY OF VASHNA
>
> (er)    8, 339: greystone -> grey stone
>
> <http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml-less-simple/lw/16tlov/title.htm#sect8>
> <http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml-less-simple/lw/16tlov/title.htm#sect339>

Yeah, "bluestone", "greenstone", and "brownstone" all make me think
this may be a fantasy substance like bronin or adamantine. Reject.

> (er)    12:     to find out who they are -> to find out who it is [LeRoy
> McSwain, Jan 2007: singular to agree with antecedent 'somebody']
>
> <http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml-less-simple/lw/16tlov/title.htm#sect12>

Maybe I'm having a mental block, but the only plural alternative to
"somebody" that I can think of is "somebodies" which no one really
uses. Is it possible that Dever meant for "somebody" to mean Lone Wolf
detects an indeterminate number of people? This would make "they" OK.
Plus, we've been accepting "they" as a gender-agnostic singular
pronoun.

> (er)    124:    everyone gets to their feet -> all get to their feet [LeRoy
> McSwain, Jan 2007]
>
> <http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml-less-simple/lw/16tlov/title.htm#sect124>

Reject.

> THE DEATHLORD OF IXIA
>
> (er)    14:     "a horde of undead warriors leap -> a horde of undead
> warriors leaps [LeRoy McSwain, Mar 2007]
> [TP: Disagreed. Nouns like 'horde' are often interchangeable between
> singular and plural forms, depending on whether they are construed as being
> 'a group treated as one entity' or 'a number of...' (cf. 'some', 'lots':
> 'some of my friends are coming', not 'is coming').]"
>
> <http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml-less-simple/lw/17tdoi/title.htm#sect14>

Reject. For reference, since it could go either way, we've been
rejecting all such issues involving collective nouns unless there is a
compelling reason to think the original is incorrect. And so...

> (er)    60:     a trio of crackling bolts come -> a trio of crackling bolts
> comes [LeRoy McSwain, Mar 2007]
> (er)    64:     "The trio of ghastly creatures press -> The trio of ghastly
> creatures presses [LeRoy McSwain, Mar 2007]
> [TP: definitely disagree. 'Trio', and more especially 'score', are
> essentially construed as alternative ways of saying 'three' and 'twenty'. 'A
> trio of performers is here' could pass, but 'a score of' or 'a dozen
> performers is here' definitely wouldn't.]"
> (er)    114:    "the horde falter -> the horde falters [LeRoy McSwain, Mar
> 2007]
> [TP: Disagreed. (See S14 for details.)]"
> (er)    196:    a row of pillars topple -> a row of pillars topples [LeRoy
> McSwain, Mar 2007]
> (er)    209:    "A score of undead have -> A score of undead has [LeRoy
> McSwain, Mar 2007]
> [TP: Disagree (See S64)]"

All rejected.

--