[projectaon] Re: Outstanding Errata Sprint (Week 6)

  • From: John TFS <johntfs@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 14:30:13 +0000

On an unrelated matter, I'd like to bring up two points that have been
discussed before.  First, Deliverance still states that if one's Combat Skill
is reduced to 8 or less, then the discipline can by used to raise one's
Endurence points by 20.

Secondly, my two cents on the 40 miles debate.  Let's look at the passage in
question:

In your lifetime you have gazed upon many awe-inspiring cities, but few compare
with the enormous size and monstrous grandeur of Kaag. A coal-black
curtain-wall constructed of massive blocks of smooth, featureless stone,
encircles this city, forty miles wide. At its centre there arises a gigantic
citadel of black marble, pyramid-shaped and slitted with numerous vents to
allow what passes for air to circulate within.

Note that this means that the overall diameter of the city from outside wall to
outside wall is forty miles.  The walls are forty miles wide, not forty miles
thick.  Granted that the Darklords were size queens (Stone-taker, anyone?), but
a forty-mile thick wall around their city seems excessive even for them.
Recall moreover that Lone Wolf enters the city through gaps in those walls as
read here:

At first the fortress seems wholly impregnable, then you notice that the outer
wall is not entirely intact. Illuminated by the infrequent electrical flashes,
you see that a vast section of the battlements, close to the North Gate, have
collapsed. Also, away to the east, a mile-long section has fallen outwards to
litter the plain with huge black cubes of stone. You are surprised to note that
no attempt has been made to repair these breaches and, consequently, access to
the city could be effected at either place with relative ease.

The upshot of all this is that I have no trouble envisioning Lone Wolf making
perhaps a twenty mile journey to the above-mentioned tower (foreshadowing if I
ever read it) on foot within forty-eight hours.  Therefore, the passage should
stay as is, in my opinion.

JohnTFS

To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 13:50:45 +0100
Subject: [projectaon] Re: Outstanding Errata Sprint (Week 6)
From: feline1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

pah! preferred by weak-minded fools! /fires zap from deathstaff/

--
http://www.feline1.co.uk

On Thu 23/06/11 1:48 PM , Timothy Pederick pederick@xxxxxxxxx sent:

On 23 June 2011 20:16, David Davis <feline1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

to be very pedantic ;)  the apostrophe is a character (logical entity), and the
choice of actual glyph used to render it (curly or not) is up to the browser
and font.

True. To be very very pedantic, we're using Unicode character U+0027 APOSTROPHE
to fill the logical role of apostrophes -- but despite the name, the preferred
Unicode character for apostrophes is U+2019 RIGHT SINGLE QUOTATION MARK. I just
talked about "straight" vs. "curly" because of the distinction made by the
majority of fonts in the glyphs chosen for those two characters. ;-)

--
Tim Pederick