[projectaon] Re: Outstanding Errata Sprint (Week 6)

  • From: Chris Neilson <crusty.chris@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 07:23:21 +1200

On Tue, 2011-06-28 at 12:39 +0100, David Davis wrote:
> But read the instructions for Combat, for instance -
> Your combat skill with be a cumulative total of several things (e.g.
> sommerswerd, mindblast, weaponskill...)

Yes. It still will be. take your base CS. Add bonus from WS/WM/GWM or
Sommerswerd, add "EXTRA points" for mindblast/psi-surge, add "extra
bonus points" for lore circles.

> Each individual section for the discipline or item surely says to “add
> X to your CS”.

what do you mean "surely says"? That implies youre arguing from a point
of "this is how Ive always played the game" which is not the same as
what the rules actually say.

I just quoted you what the various sections say, theres no "surely"
about those quotes.

1) WS/WM tells you to "add 3 points" to CS when you have a weapon youve
mastered
2)mindblast/psi-surge tells you to add "4 EXTRA points" to CS and
specifically states it stacks with WM
3) lore circles tell you to add "extra bonus points"
4) the sommerswerd tells you to "add 8 points ... (10 if you have
Weaponskill with swords)" and that it doesnt stack with WS ie the 10
includes the bonus from WS
5) 05sots/sect253 tells you to "add 5 to your COMBAT SKILL", it doesnt
specifically say whether or not youre allowed to stack with WS-with-mace
or even that the reader should treat it as a mace.

which tells me the sommerswerd INCLUDES (or read alternatively, STACKS
WITH) the bonus from WS (and by implication WM and GWM), and everything
else (bar the Jewelled Mace) specifically says it stacks with your CS
total.

> Nobody thinks “oh, I can’t add 2 to my CS for mindblast cos it already
> told me to add 2 to my CS for weaponskill”

Well no, because youre specifically told to add "EXTRA points" for
mindblast.

My point being that the rules are carefully worded so that what youre
supposed to do is obvious and clear.