[projectaon] Re: Outstanding Errata Sprint (Week 6)

  • From: Timothy Pederick <pederick@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 15:14:22 +0800

On 28 June 2011 05:42, Chris Neilson <crusty.chris@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>  Not saying I dont agree with you re the bonus stacking, but my original
> point was that this was a forth option that had not been considered in
> Tim's list. It all depends on whether or not its an argument that has
> been "seriously proposed". The point was that nearly everyone ASSUMED
> the bonus was cumulative - the rules dont specifically state that it is.

I think the fact that "nearly everyone" reads the rules a certain way is in
fact a very good argument for Project Aon to interpret them that way. :-)
Consensus is good. So is not surprising the readers and provoking them to
email us with questions or complaints!

> Compare this to the Silver Bow of Duadon. It is stated to "add 3 points
> to your TOTAL whenever you are using a Bow" (06tkot sect252) - "total"
> implies cumulative bonus, although the Mentora Improved Discipline says
> "add 2 to the NUMBER PICKED" (the "Bows and Arrows" Equipment section
> says something similar ie "add 3 to any number that you choose") - which
> definitely implies not cumulative.

I think you're reading too much intent into Dever's wording. I don't think
he was being deliberate in choosing "to your total" vs. "to the number
picked".

On 28 June 2011 09:11, Benjamin I Krefetz <krefetz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Maybe someone who feels like grepping the xml files can check to confirm,
> but I believe the only time LW throws a Dagger in the Magnakai series is
> when he throws the Dagger of Vashna at Zakhan Kimah, and in that case the
> reader is specifically instructed to add 3.

I come up with just two (using a hastily composed grep -i
"random.*weaponmastery.*dagger"), both in 09tcof. There's the one against
Kimah, of course (section
239<http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml/lw/09tcof/sect239.htm>),
but also section
215<http://www.projectaon.org/test/en/xhtml/lw/09tcof/sect215.htm>where
you throw a dagger at a guard to shut him up. There, you get a +4
bonus.

Kind of makes you wonder what the Mentora bonus (available no sooner than
10tdot) is actually *for*, especially if it doesn't stack with
WM-with-Bow...

(Do note that this is only finding cases where you get a bonus to a random
pick for having [Grand] Weaponmastery. Searching for every instance of
random picks involving daggers is significantly harder...)

--
Tim Pederick