[projectaon] Re: Outstanding Errata Sprint (Week 6)

  • From: Jonathan Blake <jonathan.blake@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 16:25:59 -0700

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 4:01 PM, David Davis <feline1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Unless I'm missing some obscure nuance of the point, Jonathan, I don't
> really see why the RNT bonuses for Bows don't fit straightforwardly under
> the aegis of Newsletter 28

I think where we're missing each other is that the footnote isn't
about whether or not you should carry over your +5 if you have
Weaponmastery with Bow at Mentora rank. I think the straightforward
answer is that you should. My last messages may have obscured the fact
that I don't dispute this.

The real question is whether or not Grand Weaponmastery has a bonus of
3 or 5. The WM + Mentora bonus is just a data point in the evidence.
Perhaps this needs to be made more clear in the footnote.

> It seems straightforward to me that what Joe settled on in the end (albeit
> may originally have been a cut-and-paste error),
> was that newbie Grand Masters would get +3 with a Bow, but if they'd already
> been a Mentora they would get +5.

You have inferred that from the evidence, but the evidence, to my
mind, isn't conclusive enough to even say that Joe ever gave this
particular issue any thought.

> To be honest, +5 is too much.... if you also have the Silver Bow of Duadon,
> you're getting +8!! It's practically impossible to miss, it just gets
> boring!  +3 is more fun! (not that arrows ever do much for you in most books
> anyways ........ try firing them in Ixia and weep!)

So are you arguing that people that complete previous adventures
should _not_ get +5? ;)

Of course only readers who completed previous adventures will have the
Silver Bow, Weaponmastery, and the Mentora bonus, so regardless of
what we say in the footnote, those folks will get +8.