[projectaon] Re: License question

On 5 June 2012 07:36, <pamail.cgi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The following was sent from the Project Aon contact form
>   From: Rich Turpin cmacleod3@xxxxxxxxx
>   Date: 23:36:14 on Monday, June 4, 2012
> Subject: License question
>
> I've read through the license and I'm curious as to whether or not I could
> make these books available in a mobile app.  A free app of course.  I'd
> really love to do this.  Let me know what my options are for this.  :-)
>
> For all the awesome Lone Wolfs out there.....

Hi Rich,

The short answer is, yes, as long as the *books* are downloaded only from
the Project Aon site.

To elaborate, you can design and distribute a reader app however you like.
When a user runs your app, though, it has to (1) get their agreement to the
Project Aon License, and (2) download the book data from the Project Aon
website.

This separate-data model is common in Android apps, although I understand
it's caused problems with the requirements that Apple's App Store places on
apps. (At least, it's made potential developers nervous that Apple *might
have* a problem with it.)

As you might have guessed, others have looked at making mobile Lone Wolf
apps before, with mixed degrees of success! You might also want to check
out "Playing Aid Software" on our
Forums<http://projectaon.proboards.com/index.cgi#subprojects>to see
what others have been up to. Since we strongly encourage all
developers to release Project Aon-related software as free and open-source
software, you might find someone else has done some work that you could
build on or contribute to, rather than starting from scratch.

Best of luck to you!

--
Tim Pederick
On behalf of Project Aon