[projectaon] Re: Highway Holocaust XML Changes

  • From: Ingo Kloecker <projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Project Aon <projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2005 21:48:50 +0100

On Tuesday 29 November 2005 20:50, Jonathan Blake wrote:
> On 11/29/05, Iain Smith <iainsmith@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Questions/Discussion Topics:
> >
> > 1) There are places where italic text have been suggested, I don't
> > want to add <i> to the XML, since it's a bit of a hack IMO.
> > There are already classes which use <i> in the XSL (thought,
> > onomatopoeia), should I use one of these, or add a new class?
>
> It depends on what purpose the italic text serves. If it is a broad
> enough class, we should add an element to the DTD.

And otherwise the XHMTL compliant <em> should be used.

> > 3) The instances of 1/16 were recommended to be replaced by a
> > single character, however I don't think you can get 1/16 in the
> > ASCII charset (I've only seen up to 1/8).
>
> The ISO-8859-1 character set only defines characters for 1/4, 1/2,
> and 3/4. Unicode has better facilities, but we're not yet using a
> Unicode encoding

I doubt there's 1/16 in Unicode.

> (still waiting for the time to create the
> super-dooper, ultra-modern, XHTML/CSS/PNG/UTF8/JavaScript editions).

You forgot MathML (for the "1/16"). :-)

doesn't really look that good. Maybe, if it's surrounded by text (that
is, if that's actually the case in HH)? Anyway, this should be put in
some XSLT magic so that we can create a real fraction in the LaTeX
version.

Regards,
Ingo