[projectaon] Freeway Warrior Action Chart

  • From: Iain Smith <iainsmith@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 03:54:22 -0800 (PST)

I've made a few more modifications to FWAC and reckon it's about as good as
it's going to
get without undertaking a large new section of functionality.  I've changed the
distribution this time to fit in better with LWAC, as a result the download
location has
changed.  The latest (and final?) version is here:

http://www.geocities.com/iainsmith/ActionChart/fwac.jar

Of course it now needs to be run with:

java -jar fwac.jar

Changes:
* Switched Look and Feel from "Cross-Platform" to "System".
* Spruced up icons & other graphics.  Switched from GIFs to PNGs.
* Added "Notes" tab, handy for storing clues, etc.
* Added About box containing brief application information and ProjectAon
license.
* Changed window handling code.  Closing the Action Chart will now end the
application
(after confirmation), the "Hide Action Chart" button now simply
minimises/restores the
window.
* Linked the Medikit "Heal" button to the current Endurance score, each use
reduces
medikits by 1 and adds 3 to the current endurance.
* Changed JAR filename to FWAC.jar, refactored packages to org.projectaon.fwac.*
* Added extra error handling to the HTML processor, this prevents infinite
loops if
problems are encountered.
* Added fixes to TextFields so they use the same fonts as all other controls.
* Tidied up remaining control layout.

ToDo:
* Implement Bug Fixes (as reported and required).
* Test on alternate plaforms.

Future Ideas:
* Move visible strings to resources file, use this to pave the way for
multilanguage
support.
* Add debug mode to assist in bug tracking
* "Borrow" LWAC's idea of a dedicated temporary store for lost items (if deemed
necessary).
* Add Look & Feel options (choose between installed look and feel styles).

I've still not managed to run any tests on alternate platforms, and haven't
received
feedback from anyone else.  Has anyone tested FWAC on platforms such as Linux,
or have
access to a box where they can give it a blast?  The only alternative is for me
to try
and set up a Linux partition on my machine at home for testing purposes (which
I can't
promise I'll be able to do any time soon).

I'll keep the source safe for a while I run further tests (and work on the
books?), at
some point it will probably want to be added to CVS or something (if there's a
non-book
related area in the repository).

Regards,
Iain.