[projectaon] Re: Font substitutes

  • From: Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña <jfs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 02:08:18 +0200

On Wed, Sep 13, 2006 at 03:53:46PM -0700, Iain Smith wrote:
> Is there a list of fonts supplied by the various linux distributions?

Not really, the recent LSB conference covered the font management issues [1].
I guess most distributions share a common set of fonts (for X11 display,
provided by Xorg as well as Adobe's fonts) but I don't really know if the
commercial distributions (RedHat, SuSE...) have licensed additional fonts.
It could be curious to inspect the contents of /usr/share/fonts in different
Linux distributions (default install). I do have virtual images for many
distributions but, unfortunately, don't have the time to investigate this
fully.

Some distributions (Debian and Ubuntu) are looking upon OFL [2] in the hopes
that they provide good fonts (the Gentium font looks nice).

Regards

Javier

[1] http://www.freestandards.org/en/LSB_Summit#Font_Management
[2] http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=OFL_fonts