[projectaon] Re: Font substitutes

  • From: Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña <jfs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 00:28:09 +0200

On Wed, Sep 13, 2006 at 11:00:21AM -0700, Iain Smith wrote:
> The current font list is (in order of preference):
>
> Souvenir
> Georgia
> Times New Roman
> Times
> Serif
>
> Like I said earlier, Georgia is commonly supplied with Operating Systems
> these days, and I think it looks perfectly fine that way.  Perhaps its time
> to start compiling a list of platforms and font availability.

Looking in my system (Debian GNU/Linux) I don't see either Souvenir or
Georgia available (either for X or for other subsystems, like TeTeX), and
based on Microsoft's redistribution page
(http://www.microsoft.com/typography/RedistributionFAQ.mspx) I don't believe
I will see them installed by default in the future. The same might be true
for other Linux distributions.

There are, however, ways to install them automatically (Debian user
can use the 'msttcorefonts' installer package which downloads the fonts from
avialable mirrors and installs them in your system transparently to the
user).

Regardless of this, we could still embed it in PDF downloads, however, based
on the license information and on
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/TrueTypeEmbedding.mspx

Regards

Javier