[projectaon] Re: Errors: On to vs. Onto--The Big Five

Jonathan Blake wrote:
On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 7:49 AM, Benjamin I Krefetz
<krefetz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, 23 Oct 2008, Simon Osborne wrote:
Book 13:
(er)    112:    on to -> onto
-> "Hanging by your fingertips on to the underside..."

^^
I think this should be rejected? Maybe rephrased to: "Hanging on to the
underside of the descending drawbridge by your fingertips,..."
I like the rephrasing and agree with the decision (from "hanging on").

How 'bout "Hanging on by your fingertips to the underside..."?

I ummed and ahhed, but I think 'hanging on (by your fingertips) to' is still somewhat awkward. I've used my suggestion for now.

Book 27:
(er)    121:    on to -> onto
-> "...your companions use the far doors which open out on to the street."

^^
Again, I think maybe this should be rejected.
Agree with your gut feeling but can't think of any solid justification one
way or another.

Agreed with the rejection. I don't think this sentence conveys the
sense of what "onto" means: to a place or position on.

Fixed!

Grey Star Book 3:
(er)    11:     on to -> onto
-> "...wish to move in the direction of the main entrance and on to the
two-sword flagstone..."

^^
I think this should probably be altered.
Yes, alter.  If left as is, it would mean "move on" as in "move along",
instead of physically stepping onto the flagstone.

Agreed.

Fixed!

Grey Star Book 4:
(er)    268:    on to -> onto
-> "The terrified stallion flies like the wind out out of the Tilos Hills
and on to the even plain."

^^
I'm not entirely sure whether this needs to be altered or not.
I like it unaltered just because "on to" parallels "out of".

I say "onto".

Hmm, I get to pick the tie-breaker. I'll side with Jon because I guess it does have the idea of moving to be on top of something. Fixed!

Freeway Warrior Book 3:
(er)    41:     on to -> onto
-> "...bring the roadster back on to a straight course..."

^^
This possibly needs altering; not sure.
Sounds better altered to me.

Another vote for "onto".

Fixed!

Finally, on to/onto is no more. It has ceased to be. I can't believe such a widespread issue has actually been laid to rest, but I'm very pleasantly surprised. :-)

--
Simon Osborne
Project Aon

~~~~~~