[projectaon] Re: Drakkar v. Drakkarim

  • From: "David Davis" <feline1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <projectaon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2008 13:24:35 +0100

No I disagree (unless I'm missing something) -

"Scots" and "Scottish" and both valid, interchangeable, adjectival forms,
when referring to generic collective/plural things from Scotland.

e.g. "Scots Law" or "Scottish Law",
"They are Scottish" or "they are Scots",

so in the sorts or sentences Jon gives examples of below,
it would be perfectly valid to write either
"Scots assault-troopers" or "Scottish assault-troopers"
"Scots warriors" or "Scottish warriors"
"a Scots patrol" or "a Scottish patrol"

the only special case I am aware of is whisky,
where the form "Scotch" is used! :)

I don't see a problem with Drakkar and Drakkarim being used
interchangeable as they appear to have been.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Simon Osborne" <outspaced@xxxxxxxxxxxx>