RE: what is Hex?

  • From: "Chris Hofstader" <chris.hofstader@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2008 17:12:10 -0500

I'm not sure that the leading zero is a requirement but I haven't used an
assembler on Intel x86 much since the DOS days.  I know that back in those
days, I could use the instruction, "int 16h or, to make a DOS call, int 21h"
without putting a leading zero ahead of the interrupt value.  Of course,
lots of the really useful interrupts 2 (single step), 3 (breakpoint) and 9
(keyboard) look the same in hex or decimal so they wouldn't matter if they
had leading zeroes or not.  If I remember correctly, Wordperfect prior to v5
for DOS had a hook for screen readers located at interrupt A0h but it has
been an eternity since I looked at that while working on "Right Writer" a
grammar checker for DOS.

Alas, I grow more nostalgic as this thread grows...

cdh