RE: web accessibility testing

  • From: Léonie Watson <tink@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 22:24:09 +0100

Julio,

        You're right. The W3C's Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG),
from which the 508 checkpoints come, do encourage the use of CSS style
sheets. The idea they're promoting is to completely separate structure from
presentation.

        If you provide a page with good structure through HTML, the idea is
that someone should be able to read that information, whether they have CSS
enabled or not. It might not look as beautiful, but it should still be
accessible in the most pure sense.

        Equally, it is then possible for someone to use their own style
sheet and apply it to a website. This is much more rare, but effectively it
means that nothing in the presentation is hard coded. It can be overridden
by the user or turned off by the user completely.

        You can take this to many different levels. On my site, I have a
style switcher. On the following page you can select a theme for the
website:
http://www.tink.co.uk/content/style_switcher.php

        To a screen reader user, the site looks and behaves exactly the same
way, regardless of which theme you choose. This is because a screen reader
pays very little attention to CSS and focuses mainly on the HTML structure
of the page.

        Visually though, the navigation moves to different locations on the
page, the colour scheme changes and other visual effects come into play. The
idea is that because the structure and the presentation are completely
separate, you can provide a visual look and feel most appropriate to your
audience, whilst leaving the HTML structure in tact.

Regards,
Léonie.