From: programmingblind-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:programmingblind-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Chris
Hofstader
Sent: Friday, April 02, 2010 17:06
To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: empower@xxxxxxxxx; JAWSScripts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: web accessibility checking was best browser? was
Silverlight accessibility

Hi Jim,

While it is a good idea to run through some pages using a matrix of
screen access tools, OS, browser and, perhaps, some plug-ins, this
process is slow and depending upon the person judging what is and is not
accessible, can provide ambiguous results.

The best thing to do is to become somewhat familiar with the Section 508
standards and the guidelines published by the Web Accessibility
Initiative at W3C (http://www.w3c.org/wai). With a general understanding
of the standards and guidelines, you should then use a web validation
tool (there are a number of free ones which I am told are very good) and
let the software find your access problems. You can then either send a
report to your web developers with a list of requisite changes or, using
a remediation tool, fix the problems as you find them.

If you can demonstrate that the testing tools find no accessibility
problems but some screen readers and other access technologies perform
badly on the same pages, it is incumbent upon the authors of the AT to
fix the bugs in their software to bring themselves into compliance with
the standards and guidelines.

If you ensure that JAWS together with IE performs up to the standards,
it may not be the case for a different Windows screen reader, a
Macintosh or the orca screen reader with Firefox on GNU/Linux distros.
Fixing a page to work with one AT will likely break another and you can
spend an eternity chasing a solution for all possibilities but, sticking
to the standards and guidelines puts the onus onto the browser and AT
publishers to comply with an accepted set of rules.

cdh