re: teaching a totally blind person to program

  • From: Alex Hall <mehgcap@xxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 21:52:17 -0400

Personally, I would start them off with html to get used to syntax rules, then introduce javascript since it will run without needing to be put on a server or run through apache or anything. Then maybe use AutoIt as this is, by default, a GUI-oriented language instead of command line. After that start specializing; cpp, java, whatever, but the other three should slowly build up from basic syntax that is rather forgiving to a simple yet powerful language that gives you dialogs and all that. This is my own opinion, but I am rather new to programming (about four years or so) and I taught myself html and js, plus autoIt and some cpp, online and through books; it may be different in a classroom situation.

Have a great day,
Alex