Re: speechd-el on emacs as programming tool

  • From: Kerneels Roos <kerneels@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2011 18:31:09 +0200

Yeah, also seems a bit out dated -- they talk about the new speech-dispatcher and possible other solutions -- maybe even pre orca it seems? Still speechd-el seems to offer some advantages over emacspeak -- it's very light weight, has some kind of message priority system... see site. And it interfaces with BRLTTY for Braille.

I'm slowly getting into emacspeak and it's by far the most promising *nix AT for technical work I've ever seen -- it really is great and has about a decade of work by Dr. T.V. Raman and others behind it. Coupled with emacs it is a winning solution, though steep learning curve as is the case with this kind of thing always.

Alex's getting started document is very good also since it's easier reading than most other intros but still gets into real tasks near the end -- well done and thanks for your effort Alex:
http://vinux-docs.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=vinux-docs/vinux-docs;a=blob_plain;f=emacspeak-easy-howto.html;hb=HEAD

On 6/30/2011 3:58 PM, Ken Perry wrote:
Hmm nope I just use emacspeak it seems to cover much more then this.

ken