RE: sectiob 508 question

  • From: "Jamal Mazrui" <Jamal.Mazrui@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 10:39:36 -0400

I'm not a lawyer, but my understanding is that Section 508 applies to
information technology developed or purchased by the federal government.
Private companies are not legally liable under this law, though they can be
under the ADA.  Whether web sites are covered by the ADA has been interpreted
differently by various courts.

If a federal agency develops an inaccessible web site, or purchases an
inaccessible software application, it is the agency, not a private contractor
or vendor, who can be the subject of a Section 508 complaint.  There are
exceptions in what is covered, e.g., not military technologies.

Hope this helps,