RE: quick js question about calling functions

  • From: "Adrian Beech" <a.beech@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2009 17:24:49 +1000

Hi Alex,

It's possible to trap key press events and perform an action based on the
key code.  In it's simplest form I've used something along these lines:

function keyCheck(e)
{
  var result = false;
  var keyCode = 0;

  if (window.event) // for IE
  {
    keyCode = e.keyCode;
  }
  else if (e.which) // for Netscape, etc...
  {
    keyCode = e.which;
  }

  switch (keyCode)
  {
    case 13:
    {
      myHandler();
      break;
    }

    default:
    {
      result = true;
    }
  }

  return result;
}

function myHandler()
{
  // Do something...
}

...and the HTML:

<input type="text" name="myText" value="" onkeypress="return
keyCheck(event)"/> or <textarea name="myText" rows="2" cols="30"
onkeypress="return keyCheck(event)"></textarea>

There is plenty of good examples around and these can be found by giving
Google a tickle and searching for onkeypress, javascript, event handling,
etc as keywords.  BTW it might also be worth checking out the onblur and
onchange event handlers as well.

HTH :)

Cheers.
AB