questions was Re: Looking for a free or open source gaming enginee

  • From: <jaffar@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 08:38:45 +0800

Hi. I have some questions with regards to game engines. first, do we have to write or implement a gaming engine for every game we plan to write? What do game engines do? can't we just say, write a game software with all the bells and whistles coded in, then expect it to work fine in tandem with DirectX, or the hardware specs we are aiming for, for example. My next question is, are game engines portable, not just accross platforms, but across game genres? like could we write a game engine for an adventure game which is full of sword fights and monsters and demons, then port it to another adventure game, but with more puzzles and riddles and logic required for the player to win the game? Or could we even use the same game engine to write or implement a totally different sort of game? Grateful for any informative answer. Cheers! ----- Original Message ----- From: "Pranav Lal" <pranav.lal@xxxxxxxxx>