RE: questions was Re: Looking for a free or open source gaming engine

  • From: "Ken Perry" <whistler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2008 22:53:14 -0500

I have always wanted to write a game servers server but I have found that no
matter how many bells and whistles I put in people still want more.  For
example I had thought once to write a card game server that's it just a card
game server.  Do you know the millions of different card games that some
idiot is going to want to write.  I had one guy ask well we have this game
where we put one deck on the floor till we are ready for it can you code
that in?  Hell if I coded that in the next thing is hey I want a stack on
every planet sure I could generically code this but the API then gets so
nasty no one wants to use my card game server because they have to learn a
whole nasty API before they can write Go Fish.  Now that is just talking
cards.  I happen to run a commercial mud and sell the servers.  My game
server can almost do anything you want but we always come across that thing
that people want it to do.  Heck how about this one guy wanted to post all
the stats to a web page of his choice.  Now he didn't just want to post it
he wanted to use secure https and he wanted to allow each clan on the game
to post to their site that they had defined.  Sure sure this is possible but
I again go into what is possible and what is easy enough for the 13 year old
game server runners out there because I am sorry it is a rare 40 year old
game server running nerd.  Um I am not 40 yet am I?

Well anyway I am game if you're willing to write it and make it simple
enough to have people use it but I think you will find that something like
PHP is already dynamic enough to make what you want possible.

Ken