RE: programming on Windows (was RE: Any support/suggestions for a blind student)

  • From: "DaShiell, Jude T. CIV NAVAIR 1490, 1, 26" <jude.dashiell@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 10:52:10 -0400

I've been failing to install Vinux 3.00 since May of 2010.  It doesn't
get along with the onboard sound card three of my machines use.  After
Intrepid, support for that kind of sound card went by the wayside.  This
is an intel nvidia ck804 and several sighted people also have issues
with this particular model of sound card as well.  This week, I have a
contact who has some legacy sound cards that ought to solve both the
Vinux and Windows XP problem for me.  I've used Vinux 2.0 and have the
Vinux 2.0 cli max version which does work on the machine Vinux 3.0 fails
to work.  The problem or so I've been informed is that Vinux 3.0 is no
longer sound card support agnostic and arbitrarily went with Pulse Audio
and it's the Pulse Audio incompatibility with the current sound card
that's causing the problem.  Now if Vinux wants to get accessible it
probably ought to do something like what Apple does and if it doesn't
get a keyboard response or verbal response to a question sent out over
the sound system figure that the sound system isn't working and won't
work until pulse audio is at least temporarily disabled and alsa drivers
get installed and the system gets configured with alsa.  Then ask the
question again and see what kind of response if any comes back.  If
none, there may be a broken or missing sound card situation.  If an
appropriate response comes back, it's alsa that's needed at least
temporarily and possibly permanently.  Not done yet and won't be done
for the next few versions since it'll be complex to implement but that's
why I haven't yet got Vinux going.  Also, use of Vinux would tell me
nothing about cygwin or mingw.