Re: [program-l] memory management

  • From: "tribble" <lauraeaves@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <program-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "bprogramming" <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2009 11:43:43 -0500

Hi Ty --
There are several ways you could handle this -- I tend to prefer keeping the MM
information in a separate data structure that points into your allocatable
memory, rather than putting used or not-used flags in the blocks of memory
themselves -- the reason being that if the programmers happen to overwrite the
system info -- for example, writing out of bounds on an array, you may never
know what hit you, so to speak.  Also, if you need several of your blocks to be
contiguous, what will you do with the system information cookie at the start or
end of your allocated blocks?
No, there is no simple way to handle memory management.  But the code isn't all
that difficult to understand.
I wrote a little OO library in C++ that managed memory for a linker, and it was
quite manageable. It contained a linked list of pointers into consecutive
intervals of memory -- that is, the pointers in the list were of increasing
value, and each record contained the number of bytes in that interval.  Then if
I needed an interval of memory, I would search through the available intervals
and find a best fit. And when I freed memory, I would insert the freed interval
back into the list, and if it was adjacent to the free interval before it or
after it, I would merge them into one big interval.
Searching the fragments sounds like it would be time consuming, but it is a
relatively brief operation that doesn't get invoked that often.
Let me know if you have a question. I don't have the code for that old linker,
but writing it or a better one yourself would be a good exercise.
Happy hacking.
--le