Re: port forwarding by a router

That will be in vista and vista does have a funny way of dealing with networks.

At 08:13 PM 9/10/2009, you wrote:
Hi trouble --
Thanks, will check, if I can understand what you mean by network and sharing
center -- is that supposed to be on my computer or on my router?
I know where to set static ips on the router -- it has a fairly
straightforward interface.
But despite turning off my wireless adaptor, when I run the test in the
program it still fails the firewall test.
The ips now match and the ports match so I don't know why it is failing.
Actually it partially succeeded, but the diagnostics are vague.  It sounds
like I can connect to other computers on the net running the program but
they can't connect to me.
I forwarded the ports on "applications and gaming" on the router, and put
the program on the windows firewall on my pc.

Question: What does it mean to add a port to the windows firewall exceptions
list? and when you do, what software is monitoring the open port?
I put the program on the list but didn't add ports, which I discovered did
not have anything to do with my program, but were just named ports. This
didn't seem pertinent to what I was doing.
Am I wrong?  How do I make sure the ports are tied to my program?
--le

"A man who wants to lead the orchestra must turn his back on the
crowd."--Max Lucado