Re: parsing:retrieving data from websites

  • From: "Tyler Littlefield" <tyler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 06:28:46 -0700

hello, that would be cool.

Thanks,
Tyler Littlefield
http://tysdomain.com

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Ricks Place
  To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Wednesday, January 14, 2009 4:44 AM
  Subject: Re: parsing:retrieving data from websites

  Tyler: I do it all the time in Vb.net and originally in CSharp dot net. I
just have a class with a method that I call from anyplace in a project passing
the method the url to the page. The Function returns either an error code or
the Webpage in a String Variable. Then I just parse the page using standard
Vb.net built-in functiions and you could do the same in CSharp.
  The Class with the Request / Response code is small, and very old, but has
worked for many years now. If I want a Webpage I do something like:
  Dim PageContent As String
  PageContent = DownloadPage( www.google.com )
  If PageContent = "FatelError" Then
  Do Error Stuff
  Else
  ParsePage
  End If
    There are several methods of downloading a Webpage or other online content
but this method has worked for years without any problems so I just use it.
    Converting the code to CSharp should be super easy since it was originally
written in CSharp and I think I just ran it through a converter or we can
convert it manually if you want to use a Dot Net implementation.
    Rick USA