Re: opening vs.net 2008 project in 2005 version

  • From: prateek aggarwal <prateekagarwal99@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2010 11:59:33 +0530

yeah actually, the difference is not just .net framework, but there
are some other differences as well. For instance,
vs.net 2005 solution files are of version 9.00, while its version 10.00 in 2008.

I have tried changing  the version of .sln files to 9.0 to make it
work in vs.net 2005, which has sometimes done the trick for me, but I
found out by my experiments, that if there are any projects and/or
settings that are new to Vs2008 (i.e. usage of new language
constructs, designer interfaces, etc.), the solution can fall apart.

One work around that  I’ve been trying just today morning involves
adding projects created in Vs2008 directly into an existing Vs2005
solution.

Basically, I’ve created a project in vs.net 2005 and given it the same
name as the project in 2008 which I wanted to open, and then added
the project created in 2008 in 2005.

With some research I got to know that Vs2008 projects are not
explicitly blocked from being opened/added to Vs2005 solutions. The
motivation behind this decision was to ensure that visual studio
would remain performant by avoiding the performance hit of checking
the versioning of every single project in a solution on startup.

 this trick  was sometimes working and sometimes not. Since I’ve tried
it very freshly, can't state much at the moment. perhaps, i'll have to
explore it a bit more.

also, i'm aware that there are differences in .csproj files too, but
i'm yet to explore more about that too.

as said, wondering if there is an application which does the task
automatically.

the reason i'm trying to find the possibilities is that shortly i'm
going to  work with multi-targeting, it could be possible that me  or
my  team may have a need to share solutions between Visual Studio 2005
and Visual Studio 2008.
in such  scenario this could be a major problem, hence i'm trying to
prepare myself for this.

i'd like to know your experiences if you have tried opening vs.net
2008 projects in 2005.

regards,
prateek agarwal.