RE: off topic - accessibility

  • From: Jamal Mazrui <empower@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 13:05:53 -0500 (EST)

I do not know of a free PDF converter that preserves much of the original
formatting.  If referring to reading tables within the virtual view of
Adobe Reader, where JAWS quick navigation commands are available --
including table ones, then I understand that benefit of Adobe Reader.

If someone wants to preserve tables or other significant formatting in an
exported file type, then I suggest a commercial product that can convert
to Word or HTML such as Adobe Acrobat, PDF Converter (from Nuance), or the
one from
http://SolidConverter.com

 or
http://ProcessText.com

Regarding the very slow speed for OCR conversions with PDF2TXT, I'm
afraid that is a current limitation with no easy programming fix that
I know of.  If one is converting text books, I definately recommend a
commercial OCR package because of their size and the importance of
having as accurate OCR as possible.

Jamal