Re: news paper:

  • From: "Bob Kennedy" <bobken54@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 08:45:30 -0400

Good going!  You are already hooked up with USABA, and that will open several
doors for you.  Mark Lucas and I go back about 14 years or so, back when he
used to get on the mat with us.

I competed in wrestling for many years and was a high school coach in South
Carolina as well.  20 of my wrestlers went to the state finals in 4 years of
coaching.

Let me suggest a close sport that USABA also includes.  Judo is a very close
sport with a few exceptions.  I tell people it's like wrestling with all the
illegal things included such as grabbing clothes and choking...  Seriously it
will give you a tremendous advantage in wrestling if you also workout in Judo.
Your skills in the area of take downs will improve so much that people won't
want to mess with you.

A couple quick tips about balance that may help.  Your hips are the center of
gravity.  This is how you correct your balance.  More important, your head is
the director of gravity.  Where your head goes your body will follow.  Very
simply, if you lean forward a great degree, your hips won't be able to correct
for the loss of balance.  During take downs, you always want your hips lower
than the other guy.  That will also help you to keep your head more upright.

Best of luck and remember the season never ends.  Go after the weights even
harder during spring and summer!  I have a shirt that says
"You can't coach heart and you can't coach desire.  It comes from within."