Re: new resource:thoughts, comments, etc

  • From: David Tseng <davidct1209@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2011 09:06:18 -0700

Personally, I'd love to see the members of this list use a form; I'm
conscious of people within the community preferring to email as a more
familiar and comfortable medium, so a feature that could archive
emails as a form thread would be nice if such a thing exists. For the
rest of us, having proper threading, categories, etc makes sense and
is the modern way of disseminating information (ala stackoverflow).

A few other ideas:
- irc: this is the way most technologist communicate in real-time and
I don't see why people here can't do the same. This could also cut
down on the one-liners, tangential rantings, etc.
- svn/git/mercurial: code *belongs* on a scm system for a variety of
reasons. It's clumsy to email snippets of code and unhelpful to get
code that is incomplete or wrong. Complete examples help a lot and can
push discussion past the basics to something more substantial.
- user profiles: to have a place to contact people offline, to get
their contact info for Skype, etc.
- wiki's: helpful, but hard to maintain.

Basically, it sounds like a social network to use the buzz term of the
day :) would fit the bill. I'm sure we have enough experience with
those of us left on list to implement one from scratch or hack up a
cms to do it. You'd have to get a number of people with stable time
commitments to build something worthwhile, but using preexisting
services takes no time at all.