new question: reading input char by char and arrow keys

  • From: Alex Hall <mehgcap@xxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 17:13:34 -0500

Okay, now that that is solved I am moving on to the interface. It is command line for now, but I would like to make it as accessible as possible. The idea is to move around the grid with the arrow keys, or any four keys similarly grouped if arrow keys are very hard, and on each keypress move where the arrow indicates and print the status of that square to the screen, that is, hit, miss, not fired on, or sunken ship. I have to read in one key at a time to do this but so far my experience with input has been with the Java Scanner object and nothing else. How can I read in chars one at a time and respond to them depending on which keys they are? As I said, using the arrow keys would be the best.

Have a great day,
Alex