Re: lynix question:

  • From: "tribble" <lauraeaves@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Oct 2008 22:36:35 -0500

Hello -- while we're on the subject of linux --
I've never installed linux, but would like to do so on an old laptop.
However I don't know the drivers I need or where or how to find out.
Windows xp is on it how, but it is in a fractured state in which jaws can't
work as something has zapped the video driver, and I don't know where to
find this driver on the net. (It's a long story -- don't ask *frowny*). I
can't roll back the OS because that has been disabled in order to free up
space on the disk.

Does anyone know how to find out what driver I need? Are the drivers the
same in windows as they are in linux? (I doubt it, but I am not a driver
guru.)
If linux drivers are different, where can I find them?
This laptop did not come with recovery CDs, so I assume there is a segment
reserved on disk to put it back in its initial state, right? Has anyone ever
done this?  I know it would require sighted assistance, but I am wondering
if the fact that I disabled rollbacks might have zapped this feature as
well. Does anyone know?

If anyone has any answers I would love to hear them!
TIA
--le