Re: looking for books... still

  • From: "qubit" <lauraeaves@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 18:13:57 -0600

Hi Ty --
Perhaps you could check what textbooks are currently used at your local
college or university for a class on these subjects.
But before tackling subjects of this magnitude you should really have a very
good understanding of data structures and objects -- what they are and how
to implement them in your favorite language.
I think you already have some exposure to different types of languages from
the various projects you have tinkered on, and looking at the fruit basket
samples.
But when you get into OS and compiler construction, you really need a good
grounding of experience with the basics.
The only thing about this that has changed since I was in school in the 80s
is that OO programming has emerged in a big way.  But when you are talking
about actually writing a little operating system, you are talking about low
level details and data manipulation below the level of objects.  Hence the
old fashioned constructs like stacks and queues and locks are important.
Sorry I'm not much more help.
You probably noticed on program-l the note that safari books have suddenly
become inaccessible to persons using screen readers.  And they don't sound
promising about fixing it.  Perhaps you should join in the protest to get a
blind friendly site back.
Happy hacking.
--le