Re: introduction, and first query

  • From: Dorene Cornwell <dorenefc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 08:32:51 -0700

Hi Sameer

Welcome to the list. Do not worry about asking questions. That is what the
list is for and everybody has different things they have to ask questions
about.

Tyler gave you a pretty good description of what needs to happen for sighted
people to read your design: you need to space the controls horizontally and
vertically far enough apart that sighted people can read each label and see
each control. Then Dashell I think also helped.

Do you read Braille? Does it ever happen that new braille gets written over
the top of old Braille and you can't read either the new or the old? From
your description of your colleagues' reaction, I am pretty sure something
like that is what is happening to your form.

Or think of it like children's blocks in a grid. You want one block in each
cell of a grid, not the blocks all piled up in one square.

Anyway, you also gave a clue about how to fix it when JAWS read the two
items with Left 0 vertical 0. I think and someone will correct me if I am
wrong that 0 is on the top left for vertical and horizontal axes and that
the numbers get bigger as you move down and to the right across the screen.
So to place things correctly on your form, you have to move to a position on
the screen before placing the item. I actually do not know how to use JAWS
and the VB cursor to do that but I bet someone on the list can help you with
that step.

Once you figure that out, then you just think of the next question to ask.

For myself, I am a sort of sighted person, but now I use JAWS and it really
helps. I also long ago learned that everyone will be happier if I do not try
to design UI. It is important that I know what the different elements are
and what they do. If I were taking a class I would do my best for what the
class requires. I also know blind people who do design UI and there are lots
of theories about what makes good UI (user interface) but if I have a choice
I will let a sighted person do the visual elements and concentrate on
helping them understand how labels etc help make the design accessible for
everyone.

Next question. Good luck

DoreneC
Seattle WA