iPhone development with XCode and VoiceOver

  • From: "E.J. Zufelt" <lists@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 07:52:37 -0500

Good morning,

Last night I successfully built and ran a Cocoa "Hello World" application for OS/X using XCode and Interface Builder with VoiceOver. The next step was to build and run a Cocoa "Hello World" app for the iPhone.

I would be happy to hear if anyone has found information that contradicts the following.

Problem: Anyone can register and download the iPhone SDK and start developing iPhone applications on their Mac. However, the iPhone Simulator, which is where you test your app, is not accessible with VoiceOver on the Mac. Indeed, a blind developer cannot test their own application on the Mac.

After doing some reading I believe that the answer to this is to sign up for the iPhone Developer program ($99 USD). This provides, amongst other things, the ability to build and test your apps on an iPhone or iPod Touch if you have one.

I would encourage anyone interested in doing iPhone development to e- mail accessibility@xxxxxxxxx (they are normally very responsive) to let them know how you feel about this (and anything else regarding Apple accessibility). It just doesn't seem right to me that blind developers need to pay $99 to experiment with iPhone development.

Thanks,
Everett

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/ezufelt