Re: game development layout question

  • From: "Will Pearson" <will@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 13:58:18 +0100

Hi,

It sounds as though you might be able to use a scene graph to model the
environment and keep track of the cars.  Scene graphs are pretty common in 3D
games programming and other types of 3D software, such as ray tracing graphics
and haptics.  The main purpose of a scene graph is to perform collision
detection.

A scene graph is an n-ary tree.  The root node usually represents the whole
scene or environment.  Child nodes of the root node usually then respresent
whole objects in the environment, such as cars or buildings, and the child
nodes of those nodes then represent the components of those objects, such as
wheels and doors.

Collision detection is generally performed using a depth first search of the
tree.  You take the coorddinates of the object that you want to test for
collisions and compare those coordinates to the coordinates of objects in the
scene graph.  You only test the child nodes in cases where there is a collision
with the node that is currently being tested.  This way you'll eventually work
out the geometry that the thing collides with without having to test against
every piece of geometry.

An improvement over the basic scene graph is to use a bounding volume
hierarchy.  A bounding volume is a shape that completely encloses the object in
it.  Typically cubes or spheres are used as bounding volumes as a box box
intersection test is pretty cheap.  Using bounding volume hierarchies reduces
the number of expensive triangle triangle intersection tests that you have to
perform.

You can find details on scene graphs and bounding volume hierarchies all over
the web.  You can even find already written scene graphs, the most popular of
which is Havok that has recently been acquired by Intel.  So, I'll leave
further investigation up to the reader.

Will