RE: game development layout question

  • From: "Ken Perry" <whistler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 23:13:35 -0700

Well this can be done several ways.  You can use RTTI to  check the type or
you can have a function in your class that returns what it is for example
the server I work on has a unit class that has a method  GetType that
returns four different const types.  The third method is to make these true
virtual classes where each type all have the same methods so that it don't
matter what type you have you just use the method and it does the right
thing.  For example  if you have a shape class and have triangle, square,
and circle as sub classes.  You can have a virtual function that gives you
the area called Area().  It doesn't matter if you are dealing with a square
or a triangle the correct Area function will get called.

Ken
  _____