Re: free c++ compiler

  • From: Alex Midence <alex.midence@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 09:11:22 -0600

There are 3 accessible Ides that come to mind 2 of them come with a
compiler one does not but you can get a compiler easily enough:

MinGw is a gnu c++ compiler that is for making windows programs  it's
free and open source:

http://www.mingw.org/

Code::blocks and WxDevC++ both come with it bundled into the Ide.
They are both more or less accessible.  I've found WxDevC++ to be more
accessible in code browsing, browsing classes, functions and text
editing than code::blocks but code::blocks has a more accessible rad
tool called wxsmith.  Of course, these use WxWidgets as the graphical
user interface kit for your apps.

The 3rd Ide you might want to look at is Eclipse.  It's usually seen
as a Java ide and it's probably the best there is for Java programming
if you are blind because it is very accessible.  Eclipse can be made
into an Ide for a whole bunch of languages though and c++ is one of
them:

http://www.eclipse.org/

It does not come with the compiler bundled in though so, you have to
get it separately and tell it where to find the compiler.  I've heard
there's a way to use cl.exe which is the comiler visual studio uses
inside Eclipse and Code::blocks too, for that matter, but I don't know
how to make that happen.

Regards,
Alex M