file and printer sharing with an xp machine

  • From: "qubit" <lauraeaves@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindwindows7@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "bprogramming" <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <blind-windows@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 21:41:53 -0500

Greetings. I have a public folder on my xp machine that I want to access
with my windows7 machine. The xp network setup wizard said that I need to
run the network setup program for xp on all machines that aren't xp.  Now
does this mean only machines that run a windows that predates xp, or does it
mean that even vista and windows7 boxes need me to run this software? I
created the software.  It put a setup program on my USB drive.  I took that
drive to my windows7 machine and plugged it in.
Oh gross.  I ran the program and it failed and ditched execution, and now I
have no internet -- it zapped the wi-fi connection.  Not only that, but
windows, or something claiming to be windows is asking me to activate
windows.
I thought I did activate it.  I have activated everything.

Ok, you can call me an idiot if you like... i think I earned that one.

How do I recover sanity on my windows7 box? It was running so well.
You may ask, why don't I just copy the files to it instead of making the old
machine my server -- the answer is that I have printers and braile embosser
that don't have updated drivers and I wanted to share them on our home
network.

Has anyone successfully done what I am trying to do?
Does anyone have any tips on undoing the damage on my new machine?

A machine without internet -- it's like cutting the line to a diver...
HELP
TIA.
--le