From: programmingblind-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:programmingblind-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Jamal Mazrui
Sent: Thursday, September 10, 2009 10:32
To: Blind Programming List
Subject: Re: compilers in edSharp

Thanks, Alex that's useful feedback.

One thing I'm trying to figure out is how much of this is an EdSharp
issue and how much is an issue that would be faced using any
text/programming editor rather than an IDE.  For example, if one uses
TextPad for Java programming, what is necessary to configure in order to
compile and debug within TextPad?  I added a dialog in EdSharp
(Control+E) to help make setting the Windows PATH environment variable
easier.  Since EdSharp does not know where a compiler is installed, and
its location can change with different compiler versions, it seems like
adding the compiler directory to the Windows search path is generally
preferable to including a direct, complete path to a compiler directory
or executable.

Regarding AutoIt, I think its installer does associate .au3 files with
the AutoIt.exe interpreter, so from within EdSharp, you can just press
F5 to run an AutoIt program.  If there is an error, the interpreter
presents a message box indicating where the problem is.

Regarding C#, I did provide a simple example once on the list in
response to a question about using the command-line compiler with
EdSharp.  The directory containing csc.exe does need to be on the
Windows search path.  If anyone else has not been able to get that
compiler to work with EdSharp, even after the environment variable
adjustment, let me know.

Regarding JavaScript, that is a more challenging problem because of the
web browser environment.  JScript .NET code may be compiled like other
.NET languages with EdSharp, but I don't know of a good way to handle
JavaScript in the browser for debugging with EdSharp interactively.

I may be able to write a utility that adds the directory of the .NET 2.0
SDK to the Windows search path.  That may ease configuring .NET
development with EdSharp.  I'll look into it.

Keep the ideas and feedback coming!

Jamal
On Thu, 10 Sep 2009, Alex
Hall wrote:

> Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 09:31:58 -0400
> From: Alex Hall <mehgcap@xxxxxxxxx>
> To: Blind Programming List <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: compilers in edSharp
>
> Hi,
> I know the configurations are there, but I think the problem comes
when you
> do not have the compiler already. I did not have java, but when I
installed
> the jdk, it still took forever to figure out how to get Edsharp to run
java
> code, and c# never worked, even though in both cases I had everything
on the
> search path I thought I needed. Maybe automating the search path
process; if
> I give Edsharp the path to the compiler, it can do the rest? Not sure,
just
> tossing it out there. Also, I would like to see support for AutoIt.
What