Re: android app development

  • From: "Littlefield, Tyler" <tyler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 12:33:24 -0700

Hopefully some of this will get fixed. I know there has been talk about it, but I don't know to much more than that. Thanks for the info though.

On 12/16/2010 12:10 PM, Alex Midence wrote:
I have a motorola charm with android loaded onto it.  It's just OK,
Ty.  Lots of potential but for now, it's just OK.  Sometimes, it is
downright frustrating, to be honest.  The Talk-back screen reader is
very primitive.  It's greatest feature is incorporation of tactile
feedback.  It's going in a completely new direction than others on
other platforms because of this "Haptic feedback."   apparently, some
work is being done to develop an app that produces haptic feedback in
the form of a scanned image or picture taken with the camera..
Someone mentioned using it to tactally explore a building or
something.  What it lacks and this is big, is an exploratory mode for
the touch screen.  You can not explore that thing without selecting
what you touch.  Only work around is the "eyes free shell".  If you
want to use something mainstream, you are out of luck.  Also, you
can't assign hotkeys for stuff with it either.  For instance, I can't
hang up my phone.  Others have to hang up on me.  Reason?  The hang up
button is an icon on the touch screen appearing in different spots for
every call.  You can use arrow keys to arrow to it but, they stop
working if the phone is up to your face and the screen reader voice
turns down to incoming call volume when you are on a call so, if you
pull the phone away from your face to use arrow keys, you can't hear
the screen reader land on the hang up button.  If you try to get the
thing just close enough, your cheek will touch an icon or something
and launch an application like the web browser or the weather widget
or phone book and you have to close that app to get back to the call
window to hang up all the while doing this little inch closer and inch
away dance with your hand set so you don't turn off the screen and
input from keyboard and still be able to hear what you are doing.  So,
I have a phone that has a gps, text messenger, camera, weather widget,
etc that I can't hang up and that is a pain to dial with.  Meaning,
it's primary function is difficult to make use of.

Observations from an Android end user who uses his phone every day.
Alex M

On 12/16/10, Littlefield, Tyler<tyler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
You've apparently not used android much. I know people that use it for
quite a lot, and it does more than narrator does.
On 12/16/2010 11:38 AM, Alex Midence wrote:
So ironic.  Downright sad, if you ask me.

"In the house of the blacksmith, they use a wooden knife."--Old Latin
American saying.

"Mechanics' children have broken cars ..."  "... A doctor's family
never gets cured."--Old proverbs from elsewhere

Alex M