Re: again a newbee question

  • From: "Littlefield, Tyler" <tyler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 18:58:20 -0600

I'm sorry, getch should be getchar. Also: it's fairly bad coding style to put a printf on the same line as a scanf. Unless you have good reason, try to keep your code separated. It makes it easier to read and people don't miss things quite as easily.

On 4/13/2011 6:50 PM, ashish rohtagi wrote:
like this?? #include<stdio.h>

int main()
{
char me[20];

printf("What is your name?"); scanf("%s",&me);
printf("Darn glad to meet you, %s!\n",me);

scanf("s%",&me);

return(0);
} but result is still the same. can I use getch fungtion? if yes
please tell me how to use it . take care, regards.

On 4/14/11, Jared Wright<wright.jaredm@xxxxxxxxx>  wrote:
It goes right between the last printf statement and the return
statement. It's job is to hold the program open at the end, so it should
be the last statement before return, which ends the program.
On 4/13/2011 12:09 PM, ashish rohtagi wrote:
hi Tyler, thanks for your suggestion, but I am unable to understand
where to put second scanf. will you just once show me? take care,
regards. ashish

On 4/13/11, Littlefield, Tyler<tyler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>   wrote:
Like ken said, use scanf to catch it before the window closes, or run it
in a command line. Here's what's happening:
You open the process, and the first scanf call blocks; that is to say,
it will not process anything, it is simply waiting for the user to input
something. But after it's done printing, there is no reason why it
should stay open because you don't tell it to. So run from the command
prompt, use getch() to let you hit enter before it closes or use another
scanf.
On 4/13/2011 9:32 AM, ashish rohtagi wrote:
friends, thanks for all the  encouragement. here is my problem, I want
to use scanf fungtion. in input and output but as soon as I give my
input and press enter the window disappears. it does not give output
based on my input. here is the code. #include<stdio.h>

int main()
{
char me[20];

printf("What is your name?"); scanf("%s",&me);
printf("Glad to meet you, %s!\n",me); return(0);
}

On 4/13/11, Littlefield, Tyler<tyler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>    wrote:
O. oops. In my defense, I haven't found coffee. :)
On 4/13/2011 7:46 AM, Jared Wright wrote:
It's there, just on the same line as the printf statement.
On 4/13/2011 9:35 AM, Littlefield, Tyler wrote:
good job on using int main, just don't forget a return 0; when you
are
done. between the printf and the closing brace.
On 4/13/2011 6:36 AM, ashish rohtagi wrote:
here is my code it compiles correctly but text just shows on the
screen for 1 second, I want it to stay. #include<stdio.h>

int main()
{
printf("I will learn programming!\n"); return(0);
}

On 4/13/11, DaShiell, Jude T. CIV NAVAIR 1490, 1, 26
<jude.dashiell@xxxxxxxx>    wrote:
You didn't put your printf statement in your message, but let me
make a
guess. You didn't put a (\n) in before the closing quote mark so
you
just put text on the screen without a line ending. That could be
one
contributing factor. Another might be you didn't put an #include
<stdio.h>    statement in at the top of your program and maybe used
#include<conio.h>. If that's the case, don't use printf with
conio.h
unless you also include stdio.h. For conio.h, cprintf is the
function
you want. Hope this helps.