Re: advice on Search Engine Optimization

  • From: Michael Taboada <ai5hf@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2011 18:41:40 -0500

AS to why it doesn’t show up in the first 10 results, that is because there are
10 (or more) websites with better pagerank/seo for those terms. For example if
your page on mysql issues has a pagerank of 3 and say 20 backlinks, then there
are  say 15 sites with a pagerank of 4 or greater and 20 or more backlinks,
then they would beat you (most likely) for those spots. If you want that page
to come up, there are a couple things you could do.
1. You could get backlinks to that page itself, thereby increasing that
particular page’s pagerank and importance,
or 2. You could get pagerank to the site as a whole, which would help other
pages in that site, as the domain itself is ranked higher. Although ,if your
site is not at least loosely based around themes like mysql, tech, and that
page stands out as a different type of page than your normal pages, then I
would recommend the first way, as google I believe has made a change to their
algorithm that stops large sites like howstuffworks.com from getting high
pagerank on pretty much worthless pages just because they’re domain is ranked
so highly.
In conclusion, there is nothing particularly wrong with your site, it is just
that your competitors have better pagerank/backlinks. Therefore, I would do
things like put your website out on forums, perhaps write some blindness
related articles for blogs/article directories and put a link to your website
at the bottom, basically trying to get links to your site to increase it’s
pagerank and thereby it’s search result position.
Hth,
-Michael.