Re: accessible math

  • From: "tribble" <lauraeaves@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 16:17:59 -0600

For those not on the blindmath list, ViewPlus Inc is working on a 2d tactile
representation of math (DotsPlus) -- I requested a sample of the output.
What I received was a tactile image of a page from an algebra book
containing a 2d representation of the quadratic formula -- the fraction line
and square root symbols were tactile graphics, and the variables and
constants were in braille.

Speaking as someone who had print reading vision learning math and doing
braille later, I found this to be a great compromise between tactile and
print -- I mean, it is very easy to read even if you aren't a proficient
braille reader (which I am not), and I think it would greatly simplify the
meaning of an equation for a blind student learning math as well.  In
addition, the spatial layout of the equation is visible to a sighted
teacher, so he/she can assist a blind student more easily.
The only drawback is that the code can't currently be displayed on
refreshable braille displays, or for that matter, printed by all embossers.
But it is a great idea.

Thought I'd mention it. ViewPlus is the producer of the Tiger embossers,
which are pricy, but also do a lot more than most embossers. (I don't have
one, but next time I win the lottery I will be considering it...*smile*)
--le