Re: a bit ot: servers

  • From: "Humberto Rodriguez" <sub@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Mar 2011 21:03:58 -0500

DNS stands for Domain Name Server.  Internet works on IP addresses and when
we request a domain for example, on the address bar of the browser, an FTP
client or an email server, there is a server for that domain extension, for
example a .com domain, which receives the request and through DNS entries,
knows which DNS server to send it to; and  the DNS server will in turn send
it to the host that handles that domain, either as a host or virtual host.
The host server knows which account and protocol to send the request to,
whether a dedicated or shared server.

Humberto