Re: Your Experience with Braille Displays

  • From: Kerneels Roos <kerneels@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 09:38:53 +0200

Hi folks. Great stuff, thanks for the continued comments it is most
interesting and very illuminating to read about all the different viewpoints
and opinions. Personally it is a great encouragement for me to know there
are so, so many very successful blind programmers in the world out there,
and more than that, they are willing to hsare their knowledge and experience
daily.

If you still haven't commented about the Braille display issue, or if you
would like to add to what you've said already, please do so. I have been
reading and studying every word of the comments thus far, and I know many
more people are also benefitting from this discussion.

Even if your experience is more limited, you also might have something valid
to add -- you are not yet entrenched in this way or that way of doing
things.

Best regards,
Kerneels

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 5:00 AM, Ken Perry <whistler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Well just so I put my 0.00005 cents in.
>

> I not only code efficiently I am a professional coder by trade and it's
> what
> I do as a home business and a hobby.  I am 100%  blind and the only Braille
> display I have is a RB 18 that I  use with my IPhone because I hate typing
> on that thing when I want to send email or do a lot of chatting.  I have
> never hooked it up to my current laptop.  I have hooked it up to my
> computer
> in the past to test with it but I really only use a Braille display to test
> output for those who use one.  In my current job I code for Windows Linux,
> and Mac, I code in Asm, python, c++, c, java, javascript, html , C#, VB,
> Lisp, Delphi, Pascal,, almost any Linux scripting language, HTA, Fortran,
> and I am sure I am missing some Languages I have forgot that I know.  I can
> teach myself languages quickly and become proficient in them if I must and
> while I can see a use of a Braille display in coding I personally find it
> slow and cumbersome to have to type and read with my hands.  I will mention
> though that I was cited for almost 21 years and have not yet made that 21
> years of blindness but I have almost made it there.  I think if I was born
> blind and had been using Braille all my life it might really come in handy.
> In fact one of the guys I work with uses Braille to code with and I am
> always amazed at how fast he can code.  I personally would be unable to
> keep
> up with him using Braille but I can keep up with him using speech.
>
> Now with all that said there are different tools for people who use Braille
> over those who use speech.  There are different ways of setting up your
> environment to get the best out of what tools you use.  For example if you
> use Braille and speech you don't need to hear every punctuation if you can
> see it in Braille.   If you only have a 40 line display you will have to
> make your code fit in that or you're going to slow down quite a bit.  I
> think if I had to use a Braille display I would have to get an 80 cell one.
> I will wait on the next Gen to buy one because they will be cheaper than
> 2000$ and have multiple lines. That will be a new day.
>
> I just wanted to let people know once again that you can be a very good,
> fast, and competent coder without a Braille display but you will need a
> good
> editor and sorry folks I know this will cause a fight but you will need
> Jaws.  I can tell you that there is not one person out of the 5 blind
> coders
> I work with that use anything else.   2 of them have tried switching to
> other tools and still have things like Window-eyes and system access and
> NVDA on their computers for some things but Jaws is really the only way to
> professionally develop for windows, and Linux right now.  You can all rant
> [...]

Kerneels Roos
Cell/SMS: +27 (0)82 309 1998
Skype: cornelis.roos

The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!