Re: Windows 7 big e-mail problem

 Hi,

Did you try manually setting up your SMTP server port to 587 from your mail client? I'm sure if you do that manually from your Windows 7 box, your mails gonna pass through. The problem seems to be that most clients, unless otherwise instructed to the contrary, use 25 as the outgoing server. That number 587 I suspect was set up to handle with encrypted mail: it is standard port number for such servers as GMail and other security institutions.

Wish you the best,

Ishe

On 9/6/2010 3:11 PM, QuentinC wrote:
Hello,
I knwo it is not programming at all but I'm desesperate not to find a solution for that. I have already asked on some forums and nobody found.
I hope you will be able to help me.

I can receive all mails I want, but I can't send any.

All my accounts are configured to use port 587 instead of 25 for SMTP. That's a requirement of my internet access provider which simply block all what goes through port 25. They do that to stop spam. I have 4 e-mail accounds, and of course each one has a accessible associated SMTP server.

Everything work on my windows XP machine running with outlook express, the one from which I'm writing currently.

However, in windows 7, nothing works. I tried windows mail, windows live mail, and even thunderbird. None of these can send any message using any of my accounts. I get errors like server cannot be found, DNS error, the server hasnt answered on time, etc.

After some check and a TCP sniffing party, I saw that all of the three clients are always using port 25 inspite of the 587 correctly configured everywhere. Since they try to connect to port 25 and my ISP blocks it, then they get no response and tell me that the server cannot be found...

Does anyone have an idea to solve that problem ?
Thanks a lot.