RE: Window Eyes

  • From: "Lloyd Rasmussen" <lras@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 07:53:18 -0400

To run the Eloquence synthesizers, you go to SAPI in the speech synthesizer
dialog, then press Tab once.  You will be in a list of SAPI synthesizers,
and the Eloquence voices are in that list.  Reed is the best one to use for
U.S. English.  If you need to switch back to the DECtalk synthesizer, it is
the first one in the main list starting with D.  I like Eloquence, but find
that since it is old and running through SAPI 4, it is somewhat less stable
than DEC Access, which is being driven directly by Window-Eyes.  So I switch
between the two, depending on whether I need stability that day or not.

As for the keymap, it is all configurable, and they may have made some
mistakes.  Also, they can't emulate all of JAWS's functions; the JAWS keymap
is an approximation based on what W-E contains.

Lloyd Rasmussen, Kensington, Maryland
Home:  http://lras.home.sprynet.com
Work:  http://www.loc.gov/nls