Re: WinBT 2.0 - a free, open source Windows braille translator

  • From: "inthane" <inthaneelf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 13:53:21 -0700

oops, thanks

elf
. Moderator, Blind Access Help.
. Owner: Alacorn Computer Enterprises
www.alacorncomputer.com
. proprietor: Inthane's Grab Bag
http://grabbag.alacorncomputer.com
----- Original Message ----- From: "Jamal Mazrui" <empower@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: "Andre Williams" <andre.williams.1965@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, July 25, 2011 5:11 AM
Subject: Re: WinBT 2.0 - a free, open source Windows braille translator

Good point -- we should have described software features more up front. The announcement did include this link to the full documentation

http://EmpowermentZone.com/WinBT.htm

Here are a couple of exerpts from that web page:

WinTrans is a windows interface to the NfbTrans program. Its purpose is to allow windows users to translate text files to grade II braille and grade II braille files to text without dealing with the dos environment in which NfbTrans runs.

The program converts ascii text into braille and sends the result to a file or an embossor. Special formatting commands may be placed in the text to customize the output. No knowledge of braille is required to use this program,

Jamal

On 7/25/2011 4:37 AM, Andre Williams wrote:
It is very likely many more people would be interested in measuring their
ability to contribute time into projects like this if one explained what it was that was being created. I guess I'm suggesting one take about a sentence or two to explain what winTrans does and how it can help the individual and the population it intends to help. I ran a quick Google search to learn more
about this and came across this link:
http://www.nfb.org/nfb/nfbtrans.asp

Again not much in terms of context or explanation of benefits for the
population that might have a need for this kind of tool. Seems like lots of
effort to put into something if there's no demand.

A W