Re: Why isn't Open Office on Windows Accessible?

  • From: "Jay Macarty" <jay.macarty2009@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <programmingblind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 00:28:55 -0500

One of the ideas I have been toying with for the java screen reader (either
we4java or jac) is providing a set of runtime annotations which could be used
to enhance an application's accessibility by allowing the app developer to put
in self voicing annotations. There are differing schools of thought on self
voicing. Some say it is good because the developer knows the app best and where
self voicing would be helpful. On the other hand, putting in self voicing
without providing the user a way of controling it or turning off certain levels
of it, takes away from the user's control over the accessibility feedback. If
we put self voicing annotations into the java screen reader, a developer could
add them in if desired but the base screen reader code base would still have
control and could provide a common mechanism for allowing the user to adjust
the self voicing feedback.